Monday, January 10, 2011

My coat of many colors

Not long ago I was getting ready to attend the funeral of my dear Aunt Margaret. She was 87 yrs old and had been in a nursing home for almost 10 yrs as an Alzheimer's patient. I had gone to church in the morning, then home for a quick nap and off to the funeral. Since it was a very cold morning, I had grabbed my brown faux fur coat to keep warm. Even though my first thought was that it was a bit flashy (outside of the box)for a funeral, it's a fun coat and very toasty for standing by the grave site.
When the service ended we grabbed our coats to walk behind the church to the grave site burial service. Even though I tried to stay inconspicuous, people would ooh and pet me. Later, I started wondering if that was what Joseph felt when he wore the coat his father had given him. It was fun. It was a gift. Just like mine. Did his brothers gawk and pet him? Even though he didn't wear it to cause jealousy, it did. Were we both guilty of wanting attention? One of my biggest worries in life is that somehow I would cause someone else to stumble and ultimately walk away from God. I know it's just a coat but really, if I would have listened more closely to that still small voice God had planted in my heart, I would have worn a different one. So, I've hung the coat in the closet, to be brought out on appropriate occasions only and I hope to listen more carefully when making choices, purchases or comments that could cause my brother or sister to stumble.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks, or the church of God-even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the the example of Christ." 1Cor. 10:31-33

No comments:

Post a Comment